This Arroz con Dulce post is sponsored by Nestlé. Opinions and recipe are my own.
Most of the recipes I share are time savers that need very little effort. Who doesn’t love having extra time to do stuff they love with people they love?! Well, the recipe I’m sharing today isn’t a quick one, but it does let you bring the people you love in to help. My grandmother, mother, and I took to the kitchen and out came this amazing Lactose-Free Arroz con Dulce, which is a traditional Puerto Rican dessert.
Being lactose-intolerant sucks, so finding a great way to work around that while still being able to enjoy amazing recipes like this is a priority. We used Nestlé Coffee-Mate (from Walmart!) as a substitute for the milk and it added a rich and creamy component that just amplified the rice pudding.
Since there are a few steps to this recipe, and since we wanted to maximize our time together, we all did something to make the Arroz con Dulce. My main role was to record my grandmother and mother, but that’s to be expected I guess. So, without further ado, here’s our day of #JuntosConNestlé.
Lactose-Free Arroz con Dulce Recipe
- November 29, 2017
- Print this
- 1 1/2 c. of white rice
- 1 1/3 c. of Coffee-Mate Powdered Creamer
- 2/3 c. of water
- 3 14 oz. cans of coconut milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 whole cinnamon sticks
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 2/3 c. raisins
- 2/3 c. white sugar
- Step 1
- Soak white rice in water for at least 3 hours.
- Step 2
- Mix together 2/3 cup of Coffee-Mate powdered creamer with 1/3 cup of water. Add to a heavy, medium-sized pan.
- Step 3
- Add coconut milk, salt, cinnamon sticks, fresh ginger, cloves, and nutmeg and whisk to combine.
- Step 4
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Once it comes to a boil, cover and reduce the heat and boil for 15 minutes.
- Step 5
- Drain the rice and add it to the liquid mixture. Whisk everything together and bring it to a boil.
- Step 6
- Reduce the heat to low and cook until the rice absorbs most of the liquid, stirring occasionally.
- Step 7
- Add raisins and sugar. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Step 8
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes.
- Step 9
- In a small bowl, mix together 2/3 cup of Coffee-Mate powdered creamer with 1/3 cup of water and add to the rice mixture.
- Step 10
- Boil on medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Step 11
- Find and discard the cinnamon sticks and cloves, add the Arroz con Dulce to a bowl and serve.