I’m pretty obsessed with anything in the frozen treat category. It doesn’t matter what the weather is like, 110 or -20. Since I’m trying to be good and eat healthier a lot of my favorite treats have made it to the blacklist. I had to get a little creative because I’m still human and I still love to treat myself. So, I came up with this delicious fruity and healthy Italian Ice recipe.
This is the first of many flavor variations I’m trying (that actually worked) so be on the lookout for more. This isn’t a quick recipe but there’s a lot of down time so it’s not all hands on and you can do other stuff while you wait for the layers to freeze.
The first layer is orange and peach (or this could be your second, I did it both ways). I know it may not sound like the perfect pairing, but trust me on this one. Mix 1 box of sugar-free orange Jell-O with 1 cup of boiling water until the powder dissolves. Stir in 1/3 cup of peach slices and 2/3 cup of cold water. Pour it into an 8×8 baking dish or any other medium-sized container and put it in the freezer for about 90 minutes.
For the second layer, I went with a lime – pineapple combination. I’m not a lime lover but I do love lime Jell-O so there’s that. First, you want to make the Jell-O. Mix 1 box of sugar-free lime Jell-O with 1 cup of boiling water. Stir it until the powder dissolves and then stir in a 2/3 cup worth of cold pineapple juice. Mix in 1/3 cup of pineapple chunks and pour it over the first layer of Jell-O then return it to the freezer. We’re waiting again, about 90 minutes or so.
The last layer is my favorite, strawberry-mango! Mix 1 box of sugar-free strawberry Jell-O with 1 cup of boiling water. Stir it until the powder dissolves (I know, I’m repetitive) and stir in 1/3 cup of frozen strawberries slices and 1/4 cup of frozen mango chunks (it’ll set faster) and 1/3 cup of cold water. Pour it over the other 2 layers and put it back in the freezer.
Now, you can check it after the 90-minute mark for firmness, or you can leave it in the freezer a little longer – totally up to you. I’m not a fan of waiting, but that’s just me.
Instead of just making one big dish I made a medium dish and a personal dish of this. The personal was just for me, (duh!) but I shared the medium dish with the family who devoured it once they questioned my judgment.
What do you think of this healthy Italian Ice, will you be trying it?
Fruity & Healthy Italian Ice Recipe
- July 20, 2017
- Print this
- 1 .30-Ounce Box Sugar-Free Orange Jell-O
- 1/3 cup peach slices
- 1 .30-Ounce Box Sugar-Free Lime Jell-O
- 2/3 cup cold pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup pineapple chunks
- 1 .30-Ounce Box Sugar-Free Strawberry Jell-O
- 1/3 cup frozen strawberry slices
- 1/4 cups frozen mango chunks
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 cup cold water
- Step 1
- Mix sugar-free orange Jell-O with 1 cup of boiling water until the powder dissolves. Stir in peach slices and 2/3 cup of cold water. Pour it over the first layer of Jell-O and return it to the freezer for about 90 minutes or until it’s set.
- Step 2
- Mix sugar-free lime Jell-O with 1 cup of boiling water. Stir it until the powder dissolves and then stir in cold pineapple juice. Mix in pineapple chunks and pour into an 8×8 baking dish or any other medium sized container. Put the container in the freezer until the Jell-O sets, about an hour – 90 minutes.
- Step 3
- Mix sugar-free strawberry Jell-O with 1 cup of boiling water. Stir it until the powder dissolves then stir in frozen strawberries slices, mango chunks, and 1/3 cup of cold water. Pour it over the other 2 layers and put it back in the freezer.
- Step 4
- Let it freeze for at least 90 minutes then cut it and serve.