Clam fritters may not be the healthiest food, at least not how I make them, but they are so good it makes cheating on a diet less shameful. I grew up on seafood and clam fritters were one of the first seafood recipes I learned. It’s actually not much to making homemade clam fritters, but there are a few secrets.
The first secret is a solution to getting the clams open. It can be a real pain in the butt opening clams, so I use a trick my grandmother taught me. It’s great for keeping the mess down too! Just put the clams on a cookie sheet and pop them in the freezer for about an hour. Slip a knife through the slit and tap the end with a small hammer if it’s not popping open. Once the clam is open you can use a spoon to scoop everything out. Since the clams are frozen there’s no juice to fly around everywhere, which is a major bonus.
The second tip for a great clam fritter is chopping up the clams. Doing this by hand is time-consuming so I like to use a manual food processor. I found this on Amazon (affiliate link) and it has been perfect for so many things. It chops clams perfectly and does a lot of other things too (like mixing, slicing, shredding…). You just pull the handle repeatedly until you get the results you want. I LOVE it, and it’s under $12! You want minced clams, with as few large pieces as possible. This helps to distribute the flavor evenly.
The final tip I have for the perfect homemade clam fritters is baking powder. It gives the fritters a beautiful puff that takes them from flat and floppy to fluffy and crisp.
I hope you love this clam fritter recipe as much as I do and I’d love to hear any variation on the recipe that you have. Be sure to check out our other recipes while you’re here.
Homemade Clam Fritters
- August 29, 2018
- 9 Servings
- Easy Difficulty
- Print this
- 1 pint of shucked clams (about 18 clams)
- 1/2 cup reserved clam juice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons minced onion
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- oil (for frying)
- Step 1
- Preheat your oil to 360°F
- Step 2
- Mix flour and seasonings together in a large bowl
- Step 3
- Add remaining ingredients and whisk together to form a batter
- Step 4
- Use a ladle to drop the batter into the pan (carefully, the oil is hot!) like pancakes, being sure that they’re not too big
- Step 5
- Cook for 3 – 4 minutes (or until golden brown) on each side
- Step 6
- Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil and repeat until you use up all of the batter
- Step 7
- Serve warm
Pin These Homemade Clam Fritters