Some people tell you ‘When life hands you lemons, make lemonade.’ Well, I say ‘When life hands you chicken, make chicken pot pie.’ When Swanson sent me a couple bottles of their Chicken Stock for review that’s exactly what I did. I’m a HUGE fan of pot pie since it has all of the best elements – chicken, gravy, veggies, and pie crust. Seriously – it’s like the perfect quartet of goodness.
If you’re intimidated by making your own gravy then Swanson Chicken Stock is the best way to get it started. The stock has a big chicken flavor with a slight hint of vegetables without tasting processed or fake. It definitely saves time in the kitchen, which I love. The reduced sodium still has a salty flavor so for my semi-homemade chicken pot pie I opted to not use additional salt.
I love that Swanson’s Chicken Stock is thin, it keeps the gravy from getting thick and lumpy which is important for my taste. The gravy has a wonderful consistency and the flavor is out of this world.
Quick Tip: Swanson offers plastic bottles of their chicken stop with easy measure strips on the sides, letting you cut back on dishes that need to be washed.
Find the recipe for this easy, fool-proof chicken pot pie below and find Swanson Chicken Stock in your nearest retailer. To make sure it’s there, you can use the product locator on their website.
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups Swanson Chicken Stock
- 1 - 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 cups cooked chicken cubed or chunked
- 2 cups vegetables diced or chunked
- 2 9 inch pie crusts store bought or homemade
- 1 egg beaten
- Melt butter in a sauce pan and stir in flour. Whisk until smooth.
- Slowly stir in the broth and seasonings and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Whisk the mixture until it starts to thicken up and add chicken and vegetables. Cook over medium-low heat until the vegetables start to soften, about 5 minutes. Preheat the oven to 375F
- Place 1 pie crust in a pie plate, making sure the sides are covered. Pour in gravy/chicken mixture. Top with remaining pie crust.
- Brush the beaten egg over the top crust and bake for 40 minutes. Serve immediately