Whenever I go to an Italian restaurant I feel inclined to order Chicken Parmesan. I use that to decide if the place is good or not. I take a lot of things into account; is the chicken dry or moist? is the breading right or wrong? is the pasta cooked right? But most importantly the sauce is what makes it what it is.
When I make Chicken Parmesan at home I want it to be perfect so I go for a sauce that I know I love. When Ragu came out with their Homestyle line I found that perfection. I prefer the Homestyle Thick and Hearty Traditional Sauce and add just a little Italian Sausage to it.
The sauce is already amazingly delicious since they peel, chop and simmer the ingredients and use a special blend of herbs (basil, fennel, oregano and black pepper) to layer and build the flavor.
I also use fresh cheese (mozzarella and parmesan) in place of the processed stuff – it’s so much better this way! I top the Panko breaded chicken with some mozzarella (after the chicken is mostly cooked) and bake it then I add the sauce and bake it just a little longer.
There are tons of recipes on the Ragu website that help you serve up delicious pasta dishes. Be sure to check them out!
- Serving size: 1 Chicken Breast
- Calories: 621
- Fat: 25g
- Saturated fat: 9.3
- Trans fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 27.5g
- Sugar: 11g
- Sodium: 969mg
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Protein: 68.2g
- Cholesterol: 230mg
- ¾ cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. basil
- ½ tsp. oregano
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 jar of Ragu Homestyle Pasta Sauce
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese, sliced thin or torn into chunks
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Combine bread crumbs, herbs, and garlic powder in shallow dish. Dip the chicken in the beaten eggs and dredge through bread crumbs to coat full on both sides.
- Arrange chicken in 13 x 9-inch baking dish and bake for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and top with Mozzarella cheese and bake for 10 minutes then top with Parmesan. Bake for another 5 minutes. Serve over your favorite pasta.